“Every year KCOS is a proud participant in the PBS KIDS annual Writers Contest because it underscores our commitment to the success of children in our community,” said Emily Martin Loya, General Manager for KCOS. The process of creative writing has been proven to not only support the building of key academic skills but to help improve a child’s self-confidence, creativity and imagination. KCOS is excited to announce and recognize this year’s winners and celebrates all of the talented El Paso students who entered this year’s KCOS contest.
The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is for kids who are in Kindergarten, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade or 3rd Grade
It's a Contest held by many local PBS member stations for kids who want to write and illustrate their own stories. Kids submit their own stories to our local PBS station (KCOS) for judging, and a chance to win prizes! Plus, everyone who enters gets a Certificate of Achievement. The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is managed by WNED-TV, Buffalo/Toronto and participating local PBS member stations.
Find out below how to get involved for the coming year.
The 2016 Contest has concluded and we are glad to announce our winners
The winners in grades K-3 were recognized at a special celebration on May 13th and received prizes from local businesses. You can see their digitize stories featured in this page below, and also on the national page for the PBS Kids Writers Contest pbskids.org/contest.
More than 160 creative entries were received from local children and four (4) winners were chosen for first, second, third and fourth place.
- 1st place- “Ranita Teresita” by Georgiana A. Belmontes of Douglass Elementary.
- 2nd place- “Treeman vs. Trashman” by Aaron Guzman of North Star Elementary.
- 3rd place- “Grumpy Grub” by Sofia Melendez, individually entered.
- 4th place- “My Summer Vacation” by Jazmin Alexis Perez of Douglass Elementary.
- 1st place- “A Problem in Animal Town” by Isabella Mendiola of Marion Manor.
- 2nd place- “Anastasia and Brownie” by Kayla Delilah Quinonez of Douglass Elementary.
- 3rd place- “The Blue Flower” by Dannick Galvan of Douglass Elementary.
- 4th place- “Nobody is Perfect” by Daria Esperanza Behrens of Mesita EC/DC.
- 1st place- “The Stolen Treasure” by Elijah Lee Zapata of Carlos Rivera Elementary.
- 2nd place- “Waffles the Whale” by Sophia Cecilia Navarro of MW Montessori.
- 3rd place- “The Two Indians” by Andrea Villa of Douglass Elementary.
- 4th place- “The Chicken and Her Family” by Emily Tabares of Douglass Elementary.
- 1st place- “Pesky Neighbors Have a Hero” by Ezequiel Arellano of Ebenezer Elementary.
- 2nd place- “Zack and Buzzy’s Space Adventure” by Matthew Reynoso, individually entered.
- 3rd place- “Mi Propio Jardin/My Own Garden” by Bryan Valenzuela of Housing Authority.
- 4th place- “The Color War” by Vianey Andrea Ramos of Loma Verde Elementary.
You can read and enjoy the illustrations from all the winning stories below!