For this season of Only in El Paso, we are giving aspiring filmmakers in our community the opportunity to work on a project with the guidance from established filmmakers in our city. Our goal is to help you create an Only In El Paso Story and to build upon your skills as a filmmaker. It’ll be a process but in the end, we’ll have accomplished something that we can all be proud of.
FILMMAKERS You will...
- Learn how to develop a short documentary from idea to the exhibition of your film at the Alamo Drafthouse.
- How to work with a real budget.
- A course Mentor to help you along the way of producing your short documentary.
- Develop contracts, agreements, budgets, schedules, and other forms needed for the success of your project.
FILMMAKERS, before you apply, you need to...
- Have your own gear to shoot and edit your piece. You don't need anything fancy to shoot or edit your piece. Creativity is just a fraction of making a meaningful documentary or film. Balancing your budget, time, relationships, crew, gear limitations and other logistics is an art form all on it's own.
- Have the time to attend every Workshop. Time and dates below.
- Have time to shoot your short documentary. You will have to balance your schedule to shoot b-roll, interviews and pick up shots. However, we are here to help you schedule your time to keep things simple, effective and within budget.
- Be open to constructive criticism. It's always hard to hear where your skills can improve. All feedback is to help you and your project be the best it can be.
MENTORS: before you apply, you need to...
- Have the time to attend every workshop. Time and dates below.
- Have the time to attend the final screening at The Alamo Drafthouse.
- Be available. It's safe to say that the filmmakers will need some guidance outside of the workshop. Although this is not a requirement, your availability via phone call, text, email or in person meeting will go a long way with our filmmakers. We will set guidelines.
WORKSHOPS: 6 Sessions Saturday Starting February 1st 11am-3pm
Workshop 1: Research & Development
Saturday, February 1st
- Fundamentals of developing, producing and directing a short documentary
- Researching your subject
- Story Development
- Creative Direction
- Building your team
Workshop 2: Pre-Production
Saturday, February 15th
- Preparing a shot list
- Preparing for Post-Production
Workshop 3: Production
Saturday, February 29th
- Showcase your best footage to the class for constructive criticism
- Scheduling pick up shoots (if needed)
- Preparing assets for marketing and Social Media
Workshop 4: Post-Production
Saturday, March 14th
- Showcase Your 1st Edit to the class for constructive criticism
- Polishing your story for the final edit.
- Prepare how to message your short to social media
- Develop your Social Media Content Schedule
- Reviewing your budget
Workshop 5: Post-Production & Marketing
Saturday, March 28th
- Showcase your final edit
- Showcase and review your social media content
Workshop 6: Building your career Saturday, April 11th
- Basic Career Development tips
- Reviewing your budget
- Preparing for the Alamo Drafthouse Premiere of your short